Max Planck Institute of Experimental Medicine
The Max-Planck-Institute of Experimental Medicine was founded as "Medizinische Forschungsanstalt der Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gesellschaft" (Medical Research Institution of the Kaiser Wilhelm Society) in 1947, and integrated into the Max-Planck Society in 1948. The institute was renamed to its current name in 1965.
The research focus of the institute is on neuroscience. Research activities cover a wide spectrum of topics, ranging from basic molecular analyses of neuronal processes to clinical studies on novel therapies of neurological and psychiatric disorders in patients. The central aim of all these studies is to understand basic molecular and cellular processes in brain function, to analyze their pathological dysfunction in psychiatric and neurological diseases, and ultimately to develop novel therapies for these disorders.